Once I went to high school, I was finally able to merge my tennis "career" with my high school life. I joined the team, and as a freshmen, I was put in the #1 position on varsity and I stayed there for all 4 years of high school. Those were 4 challenging years, as I was struggling with what I wanted to do for college and if I wanted to pursue a college career in tennis. My senior year ended with my partner and I being state runners up in #1 doubles, and since I decided not to pursue a college career in tennis, this was, in my mind the end of tennis for me, for now.

{My senior picture}
I missed tennis so much during my freshmen year, but I had no idea how to get back into it. I ended up getting a job with the city Parks and Rec department, making court reservations and taking court fees. I didn't let anyone know about my history until they needed someone to help out with some of the kid's tennis clinics. I told them that I am capable of teaching and they took a chance on me, so I started working for them. About 6 months later, I took the long and grueling certification test and I became a certified teaching pro in the US. I taught with the city for a couple of more years, but some shady things went down and I really didn't like the environment anymore, so I quit. Around this time, I got a full time job with my previous employer, and then not soon after that, I got pregnant with Kiley!Getting back into tennis has always been in the back of my mind, but between working and Kiley, I had no time. Once I quit and my mother in law said she would love to watch Kiley for a couple of hours a week, I finally found a women's day league. We started today and I was, yet again, playing #1 singles. I breezed through the first set, but then my body realized that I was way out of shape and I started loosing it in the second set. After almost fainting (which I NEVER do!), I finally won the second set 6-3!
Sorry for all the boring history and gratuitous talking about myself, but I don't think many people know how much I was involved in tennis. I mean, it was my life! I am so so happy that I have the opportunity to play again!




2 comments:
Yah, so happy for you! Congrats on your first win!
I am so proud of you- truly I am. It is really awesome & inspiring to know and be such good friends with someone who is so dedicated and therefore successful in a sport. There are so many ways that dedication and success in a sport can be compared to various aspects/ goals in our lives. So thanks in advance for providing me with examples I can use in YW lessons! ;D But I'm serious here. And good for you for keeping it up and getting back into it as soon as you got the chance. I am so proud to be BFF's with a for real tennis pro! love you!
Post a Comment