Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Kiley is a skinny minnie!

Yesterday I took Kiley to the doctor for her 15 month (eek!) check up. My little girl is so little! She weighs exactly 20 pounds and is 28.25 inches tall. The doctor is a little concerned because she hasn't gained any weight since her 12 month check-up so he threw around some words including FAILURE TO THRIVE. Ok, anyone who knows Kiley knows that she is the exact opposite of failure to thrive, but whatever. So he said if she hasn't gained any more weight or falls of the growth chart in 3 months at her next check-up, we will have to get blood work done to determine if anything is wrong. He said when they see things like this, alarm bells go off for cystic fibrosis. Ugh. Seriously? If I never hear those words again, it will be too soon. I mean, we know she doesn't have it because of the extensive testing we had done when she was younger, but can't a baby just be small?

Kiley eats SO MUCH, so it is not like I am not feeding her. However, I am only there when she eats dinner, so I can not control what she gets for breakfast and lunch, even though I give VERY strict instructions as to what to feed her. I just wonder if she the fact that she WILL NOT drink milk might be why, so does anyone have any tips to get her to drink milk? I have tried everything, giving it to her warm, cold, mixed with breast milk, I have even put chocolate syrup in it, and nothing. She spits it out when she gets it in her mouth. Do I have to resort back to bottles to get her to drink it?



So, any suggestions would be helpful. I love my petite little girl, I just don't want her to have more bloodwork done! Help me fatten her up!

5 comments:

Mrs. Blimes said...

Oh we're right there with ya. Miles is in the 11th percentile in weight. Up from the 6th last time though! LOL

Try a straw w/the milk. Miles would prolly drink pureed brussel sprouts thru a straw. It makes drinking FUN!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! So do you just give him a regular cup with a straw in it? How do you keep him from spilling everywhere?

And skinny babies are still so so cute!

The Miller Family said...

I totally agree with the straw idea! We just use the take-and-toss kind from walmart, in the baby section next to the other sippy cups...they last forever...like a sippy cup, but the top just has a slot for straws (although we don't use the straws that come with, we buy the disposable, bendable ones).

Levi will only drink chocolate milk, and it has to be through a cup with a straw. I was so concerned when he was first going through his no-milk phase. Our pediatrician said it's okay to give him chocolate milk if it's all he'd drink, but she told us to use carnation instant breakfast mix (we buy it in bulk from Sam's Club!) to make it chocolaty instead of syrup - that way he'd be getting the nummy flavor but with added nutrients! He's been a milk drinker ever since!

I think Savannah is heading in Kiley's direction! I think sometime's they're just made that way!

Kim said...

I love your petite little girl too! She is absolutely gorgeous. I hope my obsession with my super chuhnkay mohnkay bebe doesn't make you think that I don't also belize petite bebes are also beautiful! hello?! Kiley is as CUTE as they come! :) I agree with Lindsay, I think Heavenly Father just makes us all different sizes, adn that Kiley was just made that way and she's perfect the way she is!

David and Kaitlyn said...

I'm so sorry he said that and put it back in your head! Ughh! You already dealt with that stress! I just know she's healthy and beautiful! I'll give him a talking to next time I see him. I don't have any advice for you because my baby is like a minute old.. but I do really love Carnation Instant Breakfast. I drank it pretty much every morning when I was pregnant!