Kiley in her outfit she wore for Newman Family Pictures
How I rang in 2009!
Kiley and Grandma taking a nap
The women in my family
Kiley's first trip to the river to see where the shuttle launches!
SO the trip wasn't all fun and games...on New Year's Eve, I got a phone call from Shand's Pediatric Pulmonary Center and they told me that when they did the newborn screening on Kiley in the hospital, she tested positive as a carrier of at least one of the mutated genes for Cystic Fibrosis. What a shocker! Basically what that means is we had to take her to Shands to get additional testing to see if she had it, but we definitely know she is a carrier, which means either John or I passed it on to her, and she could pass it on to her children, so her future husband will need to be tested as well.
We took a quick trip down to Shands this morning (Starleigh, we had to get back because John had something to do for school, otherwise we would have visited!) and they did something called a sweat test where they put this chemical that induces sweat on both legs, then they put electrodes and a small electric current stimulates the sweat glands for 5 minutes on each leg. Someone with Cystic Fibrosis can't regulate the sodium their body intakes, so if there is an abnormally high amount of salt in the sweat, she has it. It was very hard for John and I to watch her get this test down because she was screaming and we couldn't do anything to comfort her, we just had to sit there.
This whole week was spent worrying and wondering, but I am happy to report that the test came back negative! We didn't want to tell people until after we knew if she had it or not, but now that we know she is happy and healthy, I have to share! John and I are going to talk to our doctor about getting genetic testing done because we want to find out who the carrier is because my sister and his siblings need to know if they could possibly have the gene for their future children.
I just don't know how much more this little girl is going to put me through! She isn't even a month old yet and she has given me so many heart attacks!



2 comments:
I am so happy she does not have it! I think that is a great idea that you guys get tested! Gosh what a scary thing!
What a relief! Can you bring her this way so I can meet her? You can stay with us!!!
Post a Comment