Thursday, December 18, 2008

Labor story: Warning! May be graphic!

So this is probably going to be long, but here is how Kiley came into the world!
So I had an appointment to be induced on Tuesday morning, but Kiley decided that she really wanted to be in control, so I started having contractions at about midnight Monday night, but I waited until 2 am to wake John up and we went into the hospital at 2:30.  They weren't really that strong, but they decided to go ahead and admit me because I was being induced anyways later on that morning.  So we check in and they hook me up to all the machines and all that stuff and I was getting pretty uncomfortable with the contractions, but I would look at the monitor, and there would be nothing there!  I kept thinking, oh my gosh, if these are nothing contractions, I don't even want to feel the big ones!  So even though I was planning on going as far as I could natural, after seeing that I decided to get an epidural as soon as they would let me.  So when the new nurse came on duty (I LOVED her!) she said, Girl if you are even thinking about getting an epidural, get one now because we have so many c-sections today the anesthesiologist is going to be so busy!  So I decided to get it really early on, and it went really well.  I am a fan of the pain meds for sure!  
But come to find out, when my doctor came to examine me and break my water, the contractions I were having WERE really strong, the monitor just wasn't working right.  Well, that made me feel a little more justified with the pain I was feeling!  They somehow put the monitor inside me to measure the contractions and holy cow they were showing up off the charts and the nurse was like, yeah, you have been feeling those for a long time, we just didn't know it!  Well, when the doctor broke my water, she discovered that Kiley was naughty and decided to go ahead and have her first poo inside the womb!  Disgusting!  This just meant that someone from the NICU would come in for the delivery to really suction everything out to make sure it didn't cause an infection.
So I went from 5 cm to fully dilated pretty quickly and the pressure was getting really intense and I was starting to feel things more now, so I knew that it was getting close to pushing time.  Finally my doctor came in and after 1 and 1/2 hours of intense pushing, Kiley was born!  I almost passed out several times from the pushing, but as soon as she came out, I was so happy!  She decided to come out sideways, so as a result, her head was really bruised and her nose was bruised and smooshed, but other than that, she was perfect!  Unfortunately, they took her to suction as soon as she was born, and when they were done with that, the doctor was dealing with me, so I didn't get to hold her for about 45 minutes after she was born.  
So all in all, it ended well.  I hated being in the hospital, and we had some problems with breast feeding that hopefully will be resolved with the lactation consultant I saw today.  Parenthood is a huge transition for John and I, plus the fact that she sleeps all day and is awake all night, but we are getting through it.  Zoe is still a little freaked out and she keeps trying to get into the bassinet when Kiley isn't in there, but we will all adjust.  
Here are some pictures:

Grandpa holding Kiley for the first time
Right after she was born
Me holding her for the first time

Kiley before we got released from the hospital...she looks more normal now!Kiley in her Christmas dress...it's a little big for her!

3 comments:

Alyse said...

she's beautiful Katie! Congrats!

Mrs. Blimes said...

congratulations katie!!! your baby is so beautiful!!!

Eric and Hayley said...

Oh how exciting and life changing for you guys! She looks darling in her bright Christmas dress.