Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thank goodness for modern medicine! (Warning: this post talks about vomiting!)

Wow, what a day yesterday was! I usually leave for work around 6:30 and Zoe is awake the whole time watching me get ready and then she falls back asleep until John has to leave. She was fine this whole time, but sometime between 6:30 and 9, she became violently ill. John called me at like 9:45 and said, umm I am not at work right now because Zoe won't stop throwing up. Ok, I thought, she's a dog, that's normal occasionally. The problem was she was throwing up about every 5 minutes for about an hour, so that is not good. She threw up on our NEW bed, our couch, and all over the floor. So John called the vet and they told him to bring her in. I went home to see what was going on and to drop off our credit card (we only have one and I am really the only one who uses it). I walked into our apartment and about threw up it smelled so bad! So John took her in at about 10:30 and I told him to just stay home for the day because I figured he would pick her up soon and she would need to be watched in case she got sick again. So anyway, the vet didn't even see Zoe until 2:30! What the heck?? We could have kept her at our house until then! You don't tell someone to hurry and bring her in and then not even see her for four hours! I was so mad. John had to go to school, so I left work early and and the vet finally called and said that after giving her all sorts of expensie tests, she had some sort of bacterial infection that he has only seen like one other time in his life and it is native to Alabama. Leave it to my dog to get some strange disease!! They gave her some sort of shot to keep her from throwing up and then gave me two kinds of antibiotics, and suprisingly, it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. Zoe got a special dinner last night of boiled chicken and rice and she loved it! Now I am worried that she won't eat her regular food when I am allowed to give it to her. She did throw up again last night, so that made for a pretty sleepless night for me, but she seemed fine this morning, so I am just crossing my fingers that she is ok until John gets home from school today.

No comments: