Thursday, October 25, 2012

The rundown

I am back with another running post!  Today marks exactly one month until my marathon.  Obviously,training for this race is taking up quite a bit of time, mentally and physically.  John likes to tell me this joke: "How do you know if someone has run a marathon?  Don't worry, they'll tell you!"  Ha!  True, but that is just because it is such a mental thing that you just can't help but talk about it.  I will liken it to natural childbirth- I have never experienced it, but I bet it is very much mental.  After you experience something like it, it is probably all you want to talk about because it is such an accomplishment!
So with that being said, I have finished the toughest part of my training.  I have ran 20 miles twice and that is the highest mileage my training has me going.  Last Saturday I dropped all the way down to 9 miles.  I told John the night before "Well, I am just going to go for a quick 9 mile run in the morning.  I'll be done fast!"  What a funny statement that is!  6 months ago 9 miles would have been the death of me! Another thing I have noticed in my training is that towards the ends of my runs, I am not cardiovasculary (I don't think that is a word, basically I mean I am not out of breath and I can talk), but my legs are SO fatigued and that is what slows me down.  I think part of it is the high mileage and part of it are the hills in my neighborhood.  My race course is flat, so I am not sure if that is going to make it easier or harder for me!
My sister introduced me to these pills.  They work wonders!  I take one before I go, 2 at my water break, and 1 after.  They help my stomach so much!  TMI, but after my long runs, I would pretty much spend the rest of the day in the bathroom.  I guess my body was reacting to losing electrolytes, even though I would drink tons of Gatorade and water all day.
I know I haven't run the race yet, but I am so close.  I just have to say, if I can do it, anyone can.  You just have to prepare yourself mentally and it does take a lot of time and sacrifice, not just on my part, but on my family's part as well.  John helped my by picking up the slack on those Saturday mornings when I was gone for 3 and 1/2 hours.  I just can't wait to get my pedicure after the marathon- you guys wouldn't believe how gross my feet are!

1 comment:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

You are so inspiring!!!! I would love to run a half marathon sometime next yr. wish we lived closer to each other or I'd be your running buddy aka, running behind you I'm sure because I'm sloooow but you would motivate me to keep going!!! Can't wait to hear all about your marathon after thanksgiving!!