I had been going to the maternal fetal medicine specialist weekly for the past 2 weeks to monitor Bryn's growth because they thought she was measuring too small (which wasn't true). Because of this, my regular OB wanted me to be induced on Friday October 28, which was fine with me. I went to the ultrasound Wednesday morning, expecting another "she looks great, see you next week" appointment. I knew something was wrong when the tech scanned me for about 5 minutes and then went to get the doctor. The doctor came back and said that my amniotic fluid was too low and that I needed to be induced today. Uh...what? This was NOT in the plan! I called John and had him finish packing my bag and we had to arrange for someone to watch Kiley and then I had to let my parents and sister know- it was just crazy!
So I walked over to Labor and Delivery and got admitted and everything, still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I would be having my baby today. I was a little emotional because I felt like I hadn't properly said goodbye to Kiley and I knew I wouldn't see her for awhile, and when I did, there would be another child there for me to care for. Plus I was all by myself in a hospital room, so the tears were flowing!
John gets there and they wait for me to eat lunch to start the Pitocin. They started that around 2:30 pm and for hours I didn't feel anything, so I thought for sure I wouldn't be having the baby until the next day in the early morning. The doctor came in and broke my water around 5:30 and I was still only 3.5 cm dialated, so I settled in for a long night.
The contractions were starting to pick up, but I was trying to wait a little bit before getting the epidural. Around 8:30 I couldn't take anymore, so I got the epidural and it was great! They checked me after that and I was about a 6, so I thought it would still be several more hours, so I sent my parents to their hotel, thinking I would be calling them around 3 or so in the morning. Since I pushed for so long with Kiley and my labor lasted longer, I wasn't prepared for a fast ending to the labor.
Around 10:30, I was really feeling some pain and pressure, but I hadn't felt like I had gone through transition (with Kiley, I was shaking really bad and really nauseous during transition). My nurse kept saying that she thought I was close, but to hold on because my doctor was in surgery. She started getting the room ready and then at around 11:15, she checked me and the look on her face was priceless. She ran out of the room to get my doctor, who had thankfully just got out of surgery. My doctor went to check me and said "Whoa! Don't cough or anything!" as she hurried to get her gear on. I pushed for maybe 5 minutes and Bryn was born! It was so nice because they were able to put her right on my chest (Kiley pooped inside so she had to be suctioned right away) and she cried the smallest cry and then was silent, just staring around the room. I was so shocked at how purple she was because I had never seen a brand new baby before, but John said Kiley looked the same way. He even got to cut the umbilical cord this time!
We didn't get up to the recovery room until about 4 am and of course, I couldn't sleep. The hospital is the worst place for someone who doesn't fall asleep easily- you are constantly interrupted by somebody wanting to take your vitals, or check on the baby, or take your picture. It is just torture. I had a little emotional breakdown after Kiley came to visit because I missed her so much and I just wanted to be at home with my little family!



3 comments:
So happy you are home and settling in! Congratulations on your beautiful new baby girl!!!
Yay for Baby Bryn! I'm glad that things went well! She's beautiful and you did a fantastic job!
Congratulations! I used to work on that mom/baby unit and I have a guess at who your nurse was. :( So glad her bili went down and you could go home :)
Post a Comment