Yesterday Kiley said something that made me really sad. We were at the park and I was pushing her in the swing. Everything was fine and she was talking about how she was flying (more like yelling about how she was flying) and then all of the sudden she started saying "I'm a stupid kid!" over and over.
Where the heck did she get that from?
I immediately stopped the swing and said, "Oh sweetie, you are a smart kid! We don't say stupid, it is not nice!" and that was that.
Then last night I put her to bed and we said our goodnights and love yous and she put her head down and said "I'm a stupid kid" again! I, again, immediately assured her that she was not stupid and that we don't say that.
Now, I promise I do not call her stupid and I am with her all day, every day, so where could she have picked this up?
It made me so sad, even though I know she really doesn't know what it means, but it gave me a glimpse into the future when she will get teased (because everyone gets teased) and how I am just going to have to work really hard to reassure her that she is such a special girl and that she needs to make sure she treats everyone else kindly.
Any ideas on how to deal with this? I am at a loss except for what I already did! Hopefully it was just a one day thing!
Highlights from April
4 years ago



3 comments:
I think you did a great job! I have no idea how I will handle the teasing. My worse fear is that my kids will somehow turn out to be the teasers. Sigh. I guess we just do the best we can to teach them that we're all Children of God and that He loves them and everyone else so much. Hopefully that will be a shield of strength for them when these issues arise?
My first thought reading this, after just hearing Kiley's "boulder" story, was: are sure she wasn't saying I'm a Super Kid? Lol! You should ask her why she's a $+up;d kid and see if she has an answer? That might at least help figure out where she got it...
oh, this breaks my heart because I worry about the same thing! I think you did an awesome job & that you did exactly what you shoudl have done! You stopped, corrected her, but didn't make a big deal about it, and then went about your day:) Good job mama:) I like Lindsey's and Kaitlyn's thoughts & suggestions:)
Post a Comment