Friday, January 15, 2010

Happy 5th Re-birthday to me!

Today marks the 5th anniversary of the fantastic day that I chose to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. To celebrate, I am posting the wonderful talk that my girl Kim Sirmans gave at my baptism:

"Katie, I first off just wanted to thank you and congratulate you on the decision you are making today! I remember the first time I saw Katie. It was at the Smith's farewell, and she was sittin' pretty in her little turquoise sweater and I ran up to her and jumped on her! She told me the other day that the reason she asked me to speak at her baptism is because I was one of the first people that said hi to her, but I said, 'you mean I am one of the first people that pounced on you!' But, I am just so excited that she will be joining us here in 5th ward!


I would like to start my talk by reading a scripture in Ether 12, verse 41. It says:


"And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the Grace of God of Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen."


In 1 Nephi 10, Verse 17 it says,


"The Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him" and in verse 19 it says "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost"


You have been doing that in your study and prayer of this church. You have found what you have been looking, you have found this Jesus of whom the prophets have written.


Another scripture I would like to read is in 1 Peter 2, verse 21. It says "Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps"


Christ is the ultimate example to us in each aspect of our lives. He has taught us through his words and his actions what we must do to enter into his rest for all of eternity.


Although Jesus Christ was a perfect man, who was side by side with our Father throughout the creation of this world, even he was baptized! He came to earth to show us the way. One of the principles he taught is stated in John Chapter 3, verse 5: "Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven."


Like in the hymn we sang today, the Lord has told us "Come Follow Me." He wants us to follow him, and he also wants us to be baptized, so he himself was baptized to show us how we can follow him.


Baptism by immersion has beautiful symbolism behind it. Going down into the water symbolizes death, being in the water symbolizes burial, and coming back up out of the water symbolizes ressurection.


Under baptism in the Bible Dictionary,it tells us that baptism, Katie, what you are choosing to do today, is something that you can remember throughout your life as a reminder of your personal commitment to Jesus Christ.


The Bible Dictionary goes on to say that baptism has many purposes. It is for the remission of sins, for membership in the church, and is a first step of entrance into the Celestial Kingdom. It is also the doorway to personal sanctification when followed by the reception of the Holy Ghost.


The Holy Ghost can be manifested to men in two forms. It can be manifested either by the power of the Holy Ghost, or manifested by the gift of the Holy Ghost.


Katie told me that after she had spent a weekend back home in Titusville with her boyfriend and his family, and she had gone to church with them, and they had been teaching her, and all the while she had been praying about it, she was driving back to Tallahassee. As she was driving along the interstate, she told me that she had this overwhelming feeling come over her that helped her to know that becoming a part of this church is the right thing to do, and the feeling was so strong that she just wanted to cry and pull her car over to the side of the road and do a dance! It was one of the best feelings she ever had! Katie, this feeling that you felt was the power of the Holy Ghost. The power of the Holy Ghost is felt before baptism, and is what comes upon a person in letting them know that the Gospel is true.


The Gift of the Holy Ghost is what you will be receiving tomorrow in Sacrament meeting. It comes only through the ordinance given by a Melchizedek Priesthood holder gives by the laying on of his hands on your head, as he confirms you a member of Jesus Christ's church.


Near the time of Christ's crucifixion, the Savior was hanging out with His apostles, and foretelling the future in letting them know that there would come a time in the near future when He would no longer be with them. His apostles were confused and saddened by this, because He was the source of so much of their happiness and peace. But, He spoke to them words of comfort, and they are written in John 14, verse 16: "And I shall pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, the he may abide in you for ever." He is leaving with them the gift of the Holy Ghost. This is a wonderful gift that He offers to each of us who are baptized, and who live worthily to have it with them always. He serves as a constant companion, and he brings peace, direction, comfort, joy, peace of mind, etc...


It must have been difficult for the early apostles to comprehend why He had to leave them. He was their leader, their Savious, their whole lives. But, He told them "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (John 14:18)" Meaning, my Spirit, the Holy Ghost, will come to you.


Katie, I just wanted to let you know that the decision you are making today to be baptized is one of the best decisions you will ever make in your life. I know that you are doing the right thing, and that being a member of this church will be a source of happiness in your life that could never come from anywhere else. I know that this is the true church! I love you! I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Yeah, she is pretty awesome! (:

These five years have been full of ups and downs, as any life would be, but throughout it all, the Gospel has helped me. I have the best friends and they are all wonderful examples to me. Unfortunately, I could only find one picture of my baptism day, and it isn't even one of me in my super cool white jumpsuit!

Me with Mindi and Hannah

(Kim, there HAS to be a picture of me and you, where is it??)

And I can't forget the wonderful sister missionaries who taught me and were there for me as I was trying to figure out what to do. I love you Sister Young, Sister Petersen, and Sister Martinsen!

So on this day where I am thinking back to this special time in my life, I ask all of you who read this to think back on your baptism day, whether you were 8 or 18, and think of those covenants you made with your Heavenly Father. What a great blessing it is to be a member of this church!

And to all you who want to learn more about my church, click here.

2 comments:

Gabe and Christina said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy you joined too :)

Kim said...

I love you Katie! Thanks for posting this...brings back great memories:) And you know what? I don't think we even get a picture that night-- I remember being sad about that after the fact because I had to rush out to go meet my brand new niece, Kate, who had just been born:)

You are wonderful and I am so glad you are my friend forever! So glad I took that initial "pounce"!!!