Kiley is a horrible sleeper. She used to be really good, but at about 3 months it was like she woke up and discovered the world and that was it! No more sleep EVER! It gets really frustrating because I wake up so early to go to work, yet I am up with her at night, too, because John is equipped with dad ears- he doesn't hear anything!
Lately it has been even more of a struggle because nothing works. We tried cry it out (NOT a fan- it just sent Kiley into hysterics and it would take so long to calm her down), we have a bedtime routine, we tried the No Cry Sleep Solution, etc., but the thing that just screws us up is her inconsistent daytimes. Some days she is home with John all day and actually takes naps. Other days, she is with grandma who does not stick with the nap time schedule (and other issues) and to the biggest problem of them all- she still has to be swaddled.
Swaddled at 8 months?! Ugh I want to break this habit SO BAD! She doesn't want to be swaddled, but that is the only way I can get her to chill out and stop grabbing things while I try to get her relaxed and ready for bed, but she sleeps better on her stomach with her arms free. I tried swaddling her with her amrs free, but as soon as I put her in her crib, she starts crawling around. Even if she is dead asleep. It is a constant struggle.
So last night I made it my goal to get her to sleep without being swaddled. I prayed for patience and set aside a couple of hours to just sit with her in her room. I read her a book, then turned out the lights and gave her a couple of stuffed animals to try and see if she could get attached to a "lovey". She didn't want any of the stuffed animals, so I just sat there and rocked her as she grabbed my mouth, nose, ears, hair, played with the chair, tried to scratch out my eye balls, you know, the normal. Then I grabbed a super soft blanket and made her touch it, then loosely draped it over her, and kept rocking. I did all of this without saying a word to her. We were silently rocking for about 20 minutes before she finally laid her head down on my chest. I WAS SO EXCITED!
She stayed this way and then I felt her body get heavy. Her breathing started getting deeper and even though I couldn't see her face I knew she was asleep. I held her like this for another 20 minutes or so, just enjoying my little girl because THIS is what makes being a mom worth it. These moments go by so fast and I am so glad Heavenly Father chose me to be Kiley's mom.
I finally laid her down and she turned over onto her stomach to sleep. And then I was rewarded yet again because she slept for 5 straight hours!
Never. Swaddling. Again.
Highlights from April
4 years ago



3 comments:
This made me cry! What you said is so true!
Glad she (and you!) got some sleep. Hope it continues!
You are a nicer mom than me! I made em cry it out during the night till they stopped (only took 2 days so I am not THAT mean)
But you are right, those moments are totally worth it. Sometimes I go into the girls room and just look at them and even pick them up sometimes just to hold them...(not so much any more as they wake up easier...)
That made me laugh then cry because I have gone throught the same thing with the swaddle blanket. YOu love them when they are little but when it is time to take it away its tough! I now make Logan sit next to me while we watch a little TV because he is too squirmy to hold. He is NUTS! He has passed out twice sitting next to me on the couch!! I was SHOCKED! Then again he doesn't crawl so he has no escape!
Post a Comment